The 66 Seals are "locks" created by God to secure Lucifer's Cage. The Seals are actually even and situations. Most of Season Four is about the Winchesters unsuccessfully trying to stop the seals from breaking at the hands of the demons
 Background behind them
After Lucifer rebelled and fell from grace, God bound him in a cage deep in the pits of Hell and locked the cage with 66 Seals. To free the Devil, the Seals must be broken by any Demons or Angels who wish to free him.
Castiel describes the Seals as being like locks on a door, after you break all of them, only then can you open the door.
 Appearances and Mentions
- When Dean Winchester was in Hell and finally gave into Alastair's torture and joined in with torturing souls, he broke the first seal by being the first righteous man to shed blood in hell. This was mentioned in On The Head Of A Pin.
- Lilith broke the seal Rising of the Witnesses in the episode Are You There God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
- The third seal broken was when Samhain rose on Halloween in the episode It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester
- Ruby mentions that Lilith has broken 34 of the 66 Seals so far in Criss Angel Is a Douchebag
- Alastair attempts to kill two Reapers to break another seal in Death Takes a Holiday, but the Winchesters stopped him.
- Lilith offers to stop breaking Seals in exchange for Sam and Dean's deaths in The Monster at the End of This Book
- In When The Levee Breaks Ten species go extinct, breaking another seal.
- Also in When the Levee Breaks fifteen fishermen go blind, breaking another seal.
- And also in When the Levee Breaks a New York teacher locks the door of a classroom and kills sixtysix children.
- Sam Winchester breaks the final seal, by killing Lilith because it is said that the first demon shall be the last Seal
- It is mentioned that there are actually over 600 possible Seals, making it harder for the Angels to figure out what ones will be broken next.
This page has been accessed 67 times.